News from June, 2009

June 2009  
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Jun 02, 2009
Jun 09, 2009

  2009/06/01
Last changed: Jun 01, 2009 09:27 by Andrea Aime

Summary:
0) What's up
1) Road map update
2) Dual meeting

jdeolive: 0) what's up
***jdeolive has been catching up on outstanding jdbc-ng work and patches
***aaime has been putting togheter a relase and is know fiddling with wms and memory consumption
***funky_c needs to file some bugs on style and store deletion.
***groldan working on various arcsde and gt-wfs patches to apply, right now figuring out why it takes so long for a wfs request to start streaming, catching up on some UI stuff, going to stress test arcsde gce over the week
jdeolive: groldan: i have some thoughts about the high setup cost, i have been looking at encoder performance recently
groldan: btw, the UI does not have a setting to change the output strategy, does it?
aaime: never had, no
groldan: jdeolive, cool, can we catch up after the meeting?
jdeolive: groldan: sounds good
groldan: thanks
jdeolive: moving on
jdeolive: 1) road map
jdeolive: i just upated for the road map for beta 2
jdeolive: Andrea made some additions for beta2, and for 1.7.5
jdeolive: as discussed on the mailing list
jdeolive: any other major additoins?
jdeolive: http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Roadmap
sigq: Title: Roadmap - GeoServer (at geoserver.org)
aaime: nope
aaime: are all of those new feature really scheduled?
aaime: (http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=14788&type=2&pid=10311&sorter/field=assignee&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC)
sigq: Title: Issue Navigator - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
funky_c: jdeolive: I'll have some deletion bugs in the next couple hours.
jdeolive: aaime: probably not
jdeolive: beta2 will need to be pruned down
aaime: that too
jdeolive: funky_c: cool, sounds good, feel free to schedule them against beta2 and make them blockers
jdeolive: unless you think its not appropriate
funky_c: Ya, def.
jdeolive: cool
jdeolive: so jira for beta2 needs some love
jdeolive: i can try to get to that today or tomorrow
jdeolive: unless of course someone else wants to
aaime: be my guest
jdeolive: agerber, dwins: does the stuff you guys are working on need to show up on the road map?
jdeolive: or is it already one
jdeolive: aaime: thanks
jdeolive: already one = already on
dwins: it is not on the roadmap. however, it will probably need to remain a community module for a while
dwins: having it integrate properly with geoserver will be a fairly tall order
groldan: che, jdeolive, the arcsde gce fix may worth being mentioned http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2748
sigq: Title: GEOS-2748 SDE Raster issue - image shifted - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
groldan: (sorry for getting back to 1.7.5, was lurking around issues)
jdeolive: dwins: cool, thanks for the update
jdeolive: groldan: cool
aaime: out of curiosity, what is it that dwins is working on?
dwins: i am not working on geoserver this week, it is all javascript
aaime: You mentioned a community module above?
jdeolive: dwins: i think aaime is referring to the community you speak of
dwins: aaime: I am talking about the printing service that we discussed at last week's meeting
aaime: mapfish integration
dwins: yes
aaime: ok, I see
aaime: I'm courious to see how that is evolving
aaime: any way I can be kept in the loop?
dwins: yes, i've been meaning to talk to alan about sending status updates to the respective mailing lists
jdeolive: agerber: feel free to chime in with an update of what you have been up to
jdeolive: continuing on
jdeolive: a date for beta2 needs to be set
jdeolive: thoughts on that?
jdeolive: 2 weeks?
agerber: jdeolive: nominally i've been working on putting together mapfish printing functionality as a module for geoserver
aaime: jdeolive, wans't beta2 already scheduled?
agerber: jdeolive: but much of my time the last week has been getting a grip on various gis concepts and how geoserver's put together and the infrastructure supporting it
jdeolive: agerber: cool, how is it progressing? anything interesting to report, or are you still tackling that far too steep geoserver learning curve?
jdeolive: agerber: gotcha
jdeolive: aaime: in jira... let me check
aaime: I used that date to discuss complex features integration, tutorial and so on
aaime: I believe it was June 15
jdeolive: aaime: yup
jdeolive: how does that sound to anyone any objections?
agerber: jdeolive: i think i'm nearer the top of the learning curve, and hopefully might make something build in the next couple days
aaime: works for me
bj0rn2 [n=bjorn@c-83-233-22-46.cust.bredband2.com] è entrato nel canale.
aaime: errr.... 1.7.5 next week?
aaime: ouch
jdeolive: aaime: that was a date just thrown out by me, there was noone with a hard deadline to have that
jdeolive: so we can easily push that back
jdeolive: agerber: cool, thanks for the update
aaime: well, if we want to keep the WMS changes in it would be better to have the reelase date pushed away at least one week
aaime: so that people other than me can check them
jdeolive: sounds good, lets propose a push back
juliatorti [n=juliator@nyc01.limewire.com] è entrato nel canale.
aaime: otherwise, let's keep the release date and let's integrate them in 1.7.6 (if we have that release in mind)
jdeolive: either or for me
jdeolive: since 1.7.x is pretty stable at this point, i think we can lower the frequency of releases
jdeolive: to every couple of months
jdeolive: but that is just me
aaime: agreed
aaime: let's propose that on the mailing list?
jdeolive: sure, i will roll that into the road map update
aaime: look at this:
aaime: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS/fixforversion/14788
sigq: Title: Browse Version - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
aaime: atm we have only 11 fixes for 1.7.5
jdeolive: haha
jdeolive: then yeah, i would say lets push back indeed
aaime: anyways, let's hear the PSC at a large on the ml
jdeolive: sounds good
jdeolive: is that it for the road map?
aaime: I guess so
jdeolive: 2) Dual meeting
jdeolive: aaime: ?
aaime: Right, jgarnett has been proposing to have an earlier meeting
aaime: where australian people can participate
aaime: I wanted to check how people feel about this
jdeolive: cool, taht will work well for me in july
aaime: lol
jdeolive: for june that will be hard as I will back to MST
jdeolive: but depends on what time
aaime: the time was not setup
aaime: I can be on both meetings if the eaarly one is 8-10 hours before this one
aaime: anyways, whoever is there
aaime: the idea was to save the logs and pick up the topics again in the second meeting
aaime: to coordinate them better it may be a good idea to decide by mail the day before what the topics would be
aaime: so that the two meetings can discuss the same
jdeolive: sounds good to me
aaime: Ok, I'll send a mail to the ml and see how this works out
jdeolive: sounds good
jdeolive: anything else for meeting topics?
aaime: hmmm... nope?

Posted at 01 Jun @ 9:23 AM by Andrea Aime | 0 comments
  2009/06/02
Last changed: Jun 02, 2009 12:56 by Justin Deoliveira

0) What's up
1) Roadmap
2) MVN site generation
3) Chart extension

jdeolive: 0) what's up
[10:15am] lasma is away: Gone away for now
[10:15am] aaime went to the zoo with family and he's not relaxing by fixing a few bugs
[10:15am] jdeolive fixing some restconfig bugs
[10:16am] jdeolive thinks it is quiet... a bit too quiet
[10:17am] aaime agrees
[10:18am] groldan joined the chat room.
[10:18am] aaime: groldan, meeting just started
[10:19am] aaime: "what's up" is the current topic
[10:19am] groldan: Hi sorry I'm late. Stayed woke up late lastnight helping sophia with some arcsde stuff
[10:19am] funky_c needs to research more things to test; figure out what's changed.
[10:20am] groldan is looking for what wicket UI issues to tackle today, have been helping with some arcsde export stuff and fixing UI bugs
[10:20am] groldan is also gonna be back to contract work this week
[10:21am] simboss: simboss: playing with modules inherited on gt-trunk
[10:21am] jdeolive: cool
[10:21am] jdeolive: 1) road map
[10:21am] jdeolive: http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Roadmap
[10:21am] sigq: Title: Roadmap - GeoServer (at geoserver.org)
[10:21am] jdeolive: so as aaime mentioned on the mailing list there are lots of issues for 1.7.5
[10:21am] aaime: yeah
[10:21am] jdeolive: so we shoud probably try to prioritize the important ones
[10:21am] jdeolive: and push back the rest
[10:21am] aaime: indeed
[10:22am] jdeolive: so... anyone want to bring up issues they think are important and/or they want to fix for 1.7.5
[10:22am] aaime: (important, or very quick to fix )
[10:22am] jdeolive: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=15284&type=1&type=4&type=3&type=5&type=7&pid=10311&status=1&status=3&sorter/field=type&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC
[10:22am] sigq: Title: Issue Navigator - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:22am] jdeolive: aaime: good point, low hanging fruit is good too
[10:23am] aaime: GESO-2316 and GEOS-2011 do not look very critical to me
[10:23am] jdeolive: oops, wrong list
[10:23am] jdeolive: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=%2014788&type=1&type=4&type=3&type=5&type=7&pid=10311&status=1&status=3&sorter/field=type&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC
[10:23am] sigq: Title: Issue Navigator - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:24am] groldan: that seems to be 2.0beta2
[10:24am] jdeolive: aaime: agreed, should be push back to 2.x?
[10:24am] aaime: yeah
[10:24am] aaime: jdeolive, shouldn't the list be: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10311&fixfor=14788
[10:24am] sigq: Title: Issue Navigator - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:25am] jdeolive: doh... sorry, tried to paste that one
[10:26am] aaime: Other issues I'd like to fix: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2614, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2842, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2743,
[10:26am] aaime: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2782
[10:26am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2782 MaxFeatures equal to Integer.MAX_VALUE not disgarded when requesting multiple layers - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:26am] aaime: This one looks annoying pesky as well: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2770
[10:26am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2770 FeatureType folder does not get deleted if it contains schema.xml and/or schema.xsd - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:27am] aaime: (annoying was meant to replace pesky... whatever)
[10:27am] aaime: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2269 is related to some recent Tike fixes, isn't it?
[10:27am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2269 exception should be thrown when user tries to submit a gml:Surface or gml:Curve in a WFS transaction - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:27am] jdeolive: cool, aaime want to up the priority on those to critical in order to prioritize?
[10:28am] aaime: yeah, thought some of the above fall more in the "ashamed to be there and does not look hard to fix" category
[10:28am] aaime: more than in "the world will stop if we don't fix those" one
[10:28am] aaime: but yeah, we just have priority to categorize
[10:29am] jdeolive: yeah
[10:30am] jdeolive: so perhaps people should go through and up the priority of things they want to fix?
[10:30am] jdeolive: and we can go from there?
[10:30am] groldan: this one seems to fall into andrea's category too: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2703
[10:30am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2703 Completely wipe out the "schema base" drop down from the feature type editor - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:30am] aaime: jdeolive, works for me
[10:30am] jdeolive: maybe reply to teh road map update mail with the ones that have been upped?
[10:30am] aaime: groldan, yeah, there are two html things that are still lingering
[10:30am] aaime: that should not be visiable
[10:30am] CIA-21: aaime * r12536 /trunk/src/ (3 files in 3 dirs): GEOS-2790, Cannot download WCS outputs coverages generated with store=true
[10:31am] aaime: (and they are out of proper layout too, which makes them more visible)
[10:31am] groldan: what's the other one?
[10:31am] aaime: two html elements I mean
[10:31am] Bojan left the chat room.
[10:34am] aaime: jdeolive, shall we move on
[10:34am] aaime: or we re-prioritize issues now?
[10:34am] jdeolive: sure, so if everyone could scan through jira at some point and prioritize that would be great
[10:34am] jdeolive: moving on
[10:34am] jdeolive: 2) mvn site
[10:34am] jdeolive: aaime?
[10:34am] aaime: yeah, I was wondering if
[10:35am] aaime: people had a look at the site I geneated for GeoTools, and if the same could be useful for geoserver as well
[10:35am] aaime: (and if so, if we should schedule site generation in hudson)
[10:35am] jdeolive: aaime: do you have teh link handy? scanning through the gt devel list...
[10:36am] aaime: http://sigma.openplans.org/~aaime/gtsite/index.html
[10:36am] sigq: Title: Geotools 2 - About (at sigma.openplans.org)
[10:36am] sonicx_ left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection)
[10:36am] jdeolive: thanks
[10:36am] aaime: and here is a sample set of reports: http://sigma.openplans.org/~aaime/gtsite/modules/library/gt-cql/project-reports.html
[10:36am] sigq: Title: Geotools 2 - Generated Reports (at sigma.openplans.org)
[10:37am] jdeolive: yeah, i think this would be great for geoserver
[10:37am] aaime: which is the (only imho) interesting part of the site
[10:37am] aaime: if we do that, we should setup a place where the generated site is going to be published
[10:37am] aaime: and then I can give a crack to site generation
[10:38am] jdeolive: sounds good... maybe we can talk to arne about setting up a reports.geoserver.org or something
[10:39am] aaime: or we can just copy everytihng into the nightly section
[10:39am] aaime: the site is going to be useful to devs mostly anyways no?
[10:39am] aaime: (this would make for a simple local file copy, wouldn't it?)
[10:40am] groldan left the chat room. (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
[10:40am] jdeolive: sure, that works fine too
[10:40am] aaime: I see there are quite a bit of documentation tasks open for 1.7.5 too
[10:41am] Topic changed to "0) what's up 1) road map 2) mvn site 3) chart module" by aaime.
[10:41am] aaime:
[10:41am] jdeolive: yeah... i was actually thinking i would put a couple of days toward doc tasks
[10:41am] aaime: a couple of days.. this week
[10:41am] aaime: (release is scheduled for Monday)
[10:42am] jdeolive: yeah, this week
[10:42am] jdeolive: but i guess if some docs slide in late that won't be a show stopper, can always update hte doc artifact
[10:43am] groldan joined the chat room.
[10:43am] aaime: well, site wise, I guess I'll ask on the list too
[10:44am] aaime: to see how other devs feel (for the mometn we have two +1)
[10:44am] jdeolive: cool
[10:45am] aaime: let's move to the next topic?
[10:45am] jdeolive: sounds good
[10:45am] jdeolive: 3) chart module
[10:45am] aaime: wondering how to include it in the release
[10:46am] aaime: official package, or we just link it from the blog
[10:46am] aaime: or... what?
[10:46am] jdeolive: is there an extension for it?
[10:46am] aaime: what is the way to include in the release a package that is not an extension
[10:47am] aaime: jdeolive, you suggested to make it distributed as unsupported or something
[10:47am] aaime: that's why I'm asking
[10:47am] jdeolive: right, sorry just trying to jog my memory
[10:47am] jdeolive: so how does it live right now? community module?
[10:47am] aaime: it's a build profile
[10:47am] aaime: there is no need for a module
[10:47am] aaime: since it provides a SPI extension
[10:48am] aaime: so it's more or less like a datastore dependency
[10:48am] jdeolive: so only a geotools lib?
[10:48am] aaime: yeah
[10:48am] jdeolive: yeah, i would say still an extension like we do for other ones
[10:48am] jdeolive: but for this time around
[10:48am] jdeolive: we can just do it up manually if we don't want to do up the full extension, we have done it in teh past
[10:49am] jdeolive: but i would say eventually an extension which contains the proper profile woudl be the way to go
[10:49am] aaime: I'm ok to make the proper extension module
[10:49am] aaime: which in fact would just contain deps
[10:49am] jdeolive: cool, i would say lets go that route
[10:49am] aaime: ok
[10:50am] aaime: I guess this is it?
[10:50am] aaime: anything else?
[10:50am] jdeolive: cool
[10:51am] jdeolive: someone on the logs?
[10:51am] groldan: about a deps only extension
[10:51am] groldan: what hapens if we set the pom's packaging to pom instead of jar?
[10:52am] groldan: does that still work and we avoid having an empty jar for the extension itself?
[10:52am] jdeolive: i don't think that works, but would have to verify
[10:52am] jdeolive: what i suggest doing instead is just not picking up the empty jar in the release artifact desciriptor

Posted at 02 Jun @ 12:55 PM by Justin Deoliveira | 0 comments
  2009/06/09
Last changed: Jun 09, 2009 15:40 by Andrea Aime

Summary:
1) what's up
2) release update
3) road map
4) it's a 3d world

bmmpxf: 1) what's up
bmmpxf:
jdeolive: whoops
***aaime is doing the 1.7.5 release and is setting up for hacking (very) partial 3d support in gt2 and gs
***groldan is on arcsde related paid work for the whole week
***jdeolive is working on resource pub stuff and getting ready to close to 2.0 related bugs
***bmmpxf is going through old doc tasks, and doing misc doc curation things
mcrmcr: mcrmcr resumes work on geoxacml
tschaub1 [n=tschaub@180.br111South24thStreetWest.bil.oneeighty.com] è entrato nel canale.
tschaub ha abbandonato il canale (quit: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)).
jdeolive: next topic?
aaime: yup
ahocevar2 [n=andreas@mk090152249184.a1.net] è entrato nel canale.
jdeolive: 2) release update
jdeolive: aaime?
tschaub1 è ora conosciuto come tschaub
aaime: I'm finishing both the gt2 and gs releases
aaime: gs artifacts are mostly fully uploaded
aaime: but I miss someone to make the osx installer
aaime: if you can give a whirl at the artifacts it would be great
aaime: I'm still fighting with gt2
aaime: the souce build won't build with an empty repo because some people did not do what I asked last month
bmmpxf: aaime: Don't forget that there is a new Windows installer that should be posted alone side the old for testing.
aaime: ???
aaime: this is completely new to me
***aaime dies at the thought of uploading another 40MB
aaime: did we have two installers in the previous releases?
aaime: bmmpxf, jdeolive?
bmmpxf: the winv2 was uploaded last month, after the 1.7.4 release. We discussed on the ML to have both up there so people could test, since it had Vista probs.
ahocevar [n=andreas@mk092248112116.a1.net] è entrato nel canale.
aaime: are there instructions on how to build it?
jdeolive: bmmpxf: do you want to handle that?
jdeolive: i believe you did last time no?
***aaime would like that
bmmpxf: I will handle it. Eek, there are no instructions, although it is notionally identical to the old windows installer.
bmmpxf: I can build both v1 and v2 if you'd like.
ahocevar2 ha abbandonato il canale (quit: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)).
aaime: already built v1 and uploaded it
bmmpxf: And I can call the new one ng if everyone one would like.
aaime: sure
aaime: someone you should also answer the user dilemma "why would I want to download this one"
aaime: (like with oracle ng)
bmmpxf: definitely
bmmpxf: thanks for that, btw
bmmpxf: if you have anyt roubles with the PDF doc ouptu too, let me know.
aaime: that's not part of the standard release guide either...
aaime: (I was wondering about it)
bmmpxf: ah crud
bmmpxf: okay, filing a JIRA for me now
aaime: the release guide instructs only to build the html modules
aaime: sorry, the html output
bmmpxf: sorry, aaime
aaime: should we add the pdf version too?
bmmpxf: yes
bmmpxf: oh wait
bmmpxf: only for download, not for live posting on docs
aaime: right, for downloads
mcrmcr: pdf would not be bad, had read some mails from my university about pdf documentation for geoserver/geotools
bmmpxf: we started pdf output as of 1.7.4
aaime: for the record, the pdf generation fails on my machine
awright ha abbandonato il canale (quit: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)).
bmmpxf: error?
aaime: it complains about a missing font
bmmpxf: hmmm
bmmpxf: let's talk after the meetings
bmmpxf: I'll try it too.
awright [n=awright@nyc01.limewire.com] è entrato nel canale.
aaime: Ok. I guess that is it?
jdeolive: 3) road map
jdeolive: http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Roadmap
sigq: Title: Roadmap - GeoServer (at geoserver.org)
jdeolive: soo... i guess first thing is date for beta2?
jdeolive: now it is set to the 22nd?
aaime: Who's going to make the release?
bmmpxf: Q about 2.0. Is the UI stable enough to start creating screenshots about it?
bmmpxf: or is it still subject to lots of change?
aaime: I will be in Bolsena for the european OSGEO sprint, so my internet connectivity might not be good
jdeolive: aaime: i will also be in australia at the complex features workshop
jdeolive: so will groldan
jdeolive: i suggest we push it back unless anyone else steps up
aaime: ok, so for that date we seem short of releasers
jdeolive: letting sit a little longer allows to fix more issues anyhow
aaime: either that, or make it mid of the week before
chippy ha abbandonato il canale (quit: Remote closed the connection).
jdeolive: we could... what are preferences of the people here?
jdeolive: actually before we answer that
sophiap: what would not done if pushed to the week before?
jdeolive: i have another related question
jdeolive: sophiap: probably just fewer lower priority bugs fixed
jdeolive: related question is
sophiap: ok
jdeolive: do we need a beta3?
aaime: hmmm... probably not? It all depends on the answer to bmmpxf question
aaime: how many other big UI changes are planned?
aaime: or any other big change in general, for that matter
jdeolive: good question
jdeolive: there is stuff i want to make nicer... but practicality tells me it is probably good enough now since it is such a huge step forward from the 1.7.x UI
bmmpxf: I feel like I want the UI to be at 96% stable before I start thinking about 2.0 docs. Program stability is another matter.
ahocevar ha abbandonato il canale (quit: Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)).
jdeolive: aaime, groldan: what are your thoughts?
ahocevar1 ha abbandonato il canale (quit: Success).
aaime: hmmm... not sure
aaime: I think the UI is good enough
aaime: and now we're at liberty to improve it more, and more easily
aaime: (ok, bmmpxf won't like that very much )
jdeolive: agreed
groldan: not sure neither, there might be a couple things to review in order to tell its ok to start screenshotting the ui
bmmpxf: ha!
jdeolive: i think we can continue to incrementally improve it
aaime: and incrementally improve the screenshots as well
groldan: the first I can think of is jdeolive wanted the order of table columns to be inverted
groldan: but all in all, it's looking quite solid
groldan: so I think I agree with aiime, it's also something that can be incermentally improved
aaime: anything else?
aaime: 1.7.6 wise... it's quite doubtful there will be such a release, right?
aaime: jdeolive?
jdeolive_ [n=jdeolive@S0106000f660192a4.cn.shawcable.net] è entrato nel canale.
bmmpxf: Well, we didn't plan a 1.6.5, but that came out why? (I forget)
aaime: I don't remember exactly
aaime: jdeolive_, we were talking about 1.7.6
aaime: and the fact that it's not really planned
jdeolive_: aaime: i think 1.7.6 is probably likely, especially if more paid work comes in
aaime: right, but it is on the hook for sponsored work that includes making the release in the lot
bmmpxf: actually, I think paid work was what created 1.6.5
jdeolive_: true
aaime: the thing is, it's not like we'll do it "no matter what"
jdeolive_: but I still think we can plan it accordingly with the community
jdeolive_: and hence throw it on the road map... maybe just not attachning a release date just yet
aaime: unless someone pops up and actually wants to do it, that is
sophiap: what would be the benefit of 1.7.6?
aaime: the same as 1.7.5
jdeolive_: sophiap: well 1.7.x is the only branch suitable to stable paid work at the moment
aaime: and other previous releases I guess
jdeolive_: and given there are a number of people doing stable work right now... it is probably the only option for that imo
aaime: trunk is nowhere near stable enough
sophiap: how stable does the trunk have to be to release 2.0?
aaime: if experience teaches something, stable, but not that much
jdeolive_: i guess no blockers in jira
aaime: we usually release when we run out of issues we can find on our own and from the users that actually do test RC
aaime: but usually x.y.1 and x.y.2 are still a bit shaky
sophiap: ok
jdeolive_: agreed, we usually don't get stable for a couple of release cycles
aaime: (as in, really stable, really solid)
aaime: it's not like we release stuff we don't believe in, it's just when the user community actually hits the release
sophiap: so users don't migrate until after .1 or .3 releases?
aaime: (usually, only early birds use RC)
sophiap: .2
aaime: most people start really testing gs with x.y.0 and that results in new issues we did not know popping up
aaime: and for cautious people, well, we've seen people upgrading from 1.6.x straight to 1.7.4
bmmpxf: sophiap: On the mailing list there seems to be a solid continuum of people, from the crazies using nightlies to those who wait until .3 .
mcrmcr ha abbandonato il canale (quit: "http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client").
aaime: right
aaime: and well.. geoserver has such a huge testing surface that it needs time for the user community to hit it all
aaime: we have a ton of tests, but not nearly as big as what the user community testing can actually do
aaime: if you think about just the CITE tests I run today, almost 1000 tests did hit GeoServer
aaime: and we pass every single one of them every time
aaime: plus we have hundreds of tests in gs and thousands in gt2
aaime: yet, the real world is a different beast
jdeolive_: the biggest hole in our testing is with data directories
jdeolive_: starting up with old data dirs, various aspects of peoples dd's in the wild, etc...
jdeolive_: it is too bad funky_c's call for people to supply their dd's did not get more uptake
ahocevar [n=andreas@mk090152198167.a1.net] è entrato nel canale.
bmmpxf: yeah, that is a drag
aaime: yeah
aaime: I guess the issue is that most people refer to local resources that cannot be shared
aaime: databases, network diskss
aaime: it's the usual thing in all OS I guess, we do our best to deliver, but in the end we don't have a QA department
aaime: and GS usually sees a lot of changes, big ones, every time we release a x.y.0 release
jdeolive_: on a related note one thing i want to do for this years GeoServer past present future talk is graph our major releases against new features + bug fixes against those of other projects, i think it would be an interesting comparison
jdeolive ha abbandonato il canale (quit: Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)).
aaime: yeah, I guess compared to other projects
aaime: our number of new features and bug fixes goes out of the roof
bmmpxf: yeah, no kidding
bmmpxf: We're like the anti-QuarkXPress
iwillig [n=iwillig@nyc01.limewire.com] è entrato nel canale.
aaime: ha ha
aaime: ok
aaime: let's move to the next topic?
aaime: jdeolive, anything else for the road map?
jdeolive_: well
jdeolive_: i don't think we came to a consensus on if we need a beta3, and when we should do beta2
groldan: right
aaime: imho we don't need a beta3, as for beta2, I'm open to doing the release end of the week before the 22nd
groldan: I would personally like to postpone beta2 for a wheek, and go for rc1 after that
groldan: week, I mean
jdeolive_: ok. i am for RC after beta2 as well, as for when beta2
groldan: rationale being there's a couple things I'd like to get fixed for beta2 that I don't think I will really have time for before the australia workshop
jdeolive_: if someone wants to do it that week (early) i am ok with that
aaime: jdeolive_, which week?
aaime: date please
groldan: we should make first sure there's no features missing after beta2
jdeolive_: the week before the 22nd
groldan: it'd be nice to run for rc1 as bugfixing only
aaime: early in the week before the 22nd? .... too early?
groldan: did anybody make a run through that feature-parity bunch of issues?
aaime: groldan, nope
jdeolive_: sorry, end of week before the 22nd, what you said
groldan: how close are we to feature parity?
aaime: no idea
aaime: I think we're pretty close, thougth we lack many of the demos
groldan: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2134
sigq: Title: GEOS-2134 Bring the new UI to feature parity with the old UI - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
groldan: says we're there?
jdeolive_ è ora conosciuto come jdeolive
aaime: I guess it does not take into account the demos
aaime: rss, wfs-t
aaime: and so on
groldan: but I still doubt it
groldan: right
aaime: I know bmmpxf also wanted to change the demo data?
jdeolive: i sort of think those should be seperate downloads imo... but that is aside
groldan: layer group editor?
aaime: don't know
aaime: I think I made some fixes there, but I don't remember what its status is
aaime: Oh, one thing I remember that is missing: it's not possible to choose a different style for a layer in the group
groldan: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2705
sigq: Title: GEOS-2705 Wicket UI styling and usability improvements - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
aaime: right.. there's quite a bit of stuff there... for some there are some hard problems to be solved
groldan: how much of that do we need for a beta2
aaime: pretty much everything if we want a pure bug fix RC
groldan: if there's something that's a feature rather than a cosmetic issue that'd be priority
aaime: if you look at some issues they ask for new panels in the UI
aaime: with that in mind, and given some of us are working on unrelated stuff
jdeolive: imo things under that issue can be done in future releases
aaime: all of them?
jdeolive: maybe not all... not sure have to look through again
aaime: like, you seemed to be pretty interested in having the preview in the layer editor
chippy [n=tim@cpc1-leed13-0-0-cust204.leed.cable.ntl.com] è entrato nel canale.
jdeolive: but that issue was supposed to be more or less container for all not crucial stuff
jdeolive: yeah... but again, i would not call it a blocker for 2.0
aaime: ok, so there is a need to re-prioritize issues for beta2
jdeolive: agreed
aaime: I'm a bit worried about it thought
jdeolive: that is one of my tasks for this week
aaime: rationale: many of us are on paid work this week, unrelated to beta2
aaime: and the week of the 22 we are away
aaime: so that leaves only one week for making the changes for beta2
aaime: and moving it to the 29 would not change things a bit
jdeolive: yeah... so should we push for the week after the 22nd?
aaime: right, but at the end of that week
aaime: because if we shoot for the beginning the time to do fixes is still just one week
aaime: unless I spend all of the Bolsena sprint working on the wicket UI (deja vu)
jdeolive: haha, ok... well i am open to pushing back
jdeolive: and it sounds like groldan is as well
groldan: that sounds good to me
aaime: jdeolive, do you have time to go through the beta2 issues and try to re-prioritize them
groldan: pity, cause I'd like it sooner, but more close to reality imho
jdeolive: aaime: yup, it is on my task list for this week
aaime: this way we can have an idea of what should actually be done
aaime: nice
jdeolive: will try to get to it today
aaime: I guess we can talk about the effective date after we have that
aaime: and for the record, I'm not against working on beta2 during the Bolsena sprint
jdeolive: sounds good
groldan: it's 15 mins past meeting time, I'm going back to hack mode, ping me if needed
aaime: I just want to keep some time to exploit networking opportunities that might arise there
aaime: (with geonetwork or with other projects)
jdeolive: aaime: yeah. i think you should focus on that, it would be a pity if you had to hack the whole time
aaime: indeed
aaime: ok, meeting done?
jdeolive: ok... so i will reorganize jira, and send the road map update
jdeolive: 4) its a 3d world?
aaime: oh right
aaime: I just wanted to give a heads up
aaime: about the 2d+1 work I'm about to start
aaime: it will end up giving us 3D kml output from postgis data sources
aaime: but it won't cover other datastores or gml for the moment
aaime: thought I hope to add that later
aaime: for curious people, see the proposal on the geotools mailing list
aaime: (most of the work wil be done there, the kml producer should not need deep changes)
aaime: that's it

Posted at 09 Jun @ 3:36 PM by Andrea Aime | 0 comments
  2009/06/16
Last changed: Jun 16, 2009 12:51 by Justin Deoliveira

0) What's up
1) Road map

dwins: aaime, jdeolive: meeting time?
[10:02am] jdeolive: yup
[10:05am] jdeolive: agenda items?
[10:05am] You changed the topic to "0) what's up 1) road map".
[10:06am] dwins: i'd like to propose a community module, but maybe that should go on the mailing list
[10:06am] jdeolive: dwins: as you see fit, it might be nice to do it on the mailing list so everybody sees teh approval
[10:07am] dwins: okay. email seems better so I'll do that
[10:08am] jdeolive: ok... no more agenda items lets start
[10:08am] jdeolive: 0) what's up
[10:08am] jdeolive has been fixing 2.0 bugs
[10:09am] dwins has been off in js land, but spent some time helping agerber wrap up some spring issues yesterday
[10:10am] aaime is working on 3d kml and wicket ui
[10:10am] groldan is doing arcsde improvements: JNDI, multiversion support and non-spatial tables support
[10:10am] groldan is doing arcsde improvements: JNDI, multiversion and non-spatial tables support
[10:10am] agerber is about to commit printing
[10:11am] jdeolive: cool
[10:11am] jdeolive: 1) road map
[10:11am] jdeolive: http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Roadmap
[10:11am] sigq: Title: Roadmap - GeoServer (at geoserver.org)
[10:12am] jdeolive: we are working through the blocker and priority fixes for 2.0-beta2
[10:12am] jdeolive: i have fixed for GEOS-3076, and GEOS-3118 pending so those should be gone soon as well
[10:12am] jdeolive: GEOS-2705 can probably be pushed back
[10:13am] jdeolive: since it is more of a meta issue
[10:13am] mcrmcr: What about migrating some plugins/extensions to 2.0
[10:13am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: it has been on the plate for a while now... but i pushed it back to 2.0-RC1
[10:13am] jdeolive: that said
[10:13am] jdeolive: folks are free to do it now
[10:14am] jdeolive: and if people think it is important we have all the extensions for beta2, we can promote it as well
[10:14am] jdeolive: thoughts?
[10:14am] mcrmcr: hmm, every time I tried to include an extension into 1.7.x I did a minor mistake
[10:15am] mcrmcr: I think, for 2.0, the situation will be the same
[10:15am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: third time will be charm, i promise
[10:16am] FerMendez joined the chat room.
[10:16am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: which of yorus need to come forward to trunk still, featuregeneralized, and imagemosaic-jdbc?
[10:16am] mcrmcr: and db2-ng would make me happy
[10:18am] jdeolive: i thought the db2 extension on trunk was db2-ng... maybe i am wrong
[10:18am] jdeolive: yup.. i am wrong
[10:19am] mcrmcr: I want to get rid of the old db2 module, nobody supports it
[10:19am] jdeolive: but i think we more or less agreed that the old jdbc extensions will go bye bye, and we will ship only the ng ones
[10:19am] aaime: yup
[10:19am] mcrmcr: code sprint ?
[10:20am] ahocevar left the chat room. (Nick collision from services.)
[10:21am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: for porting all the jdbc-ng extensions? or to fix jdbc-ng issues?
[10:21am] jdeolive: or both?
[10:21am] ahocevar joined the chat room.
[10:21am] mcrmcr: first fix the issues to get in supported land and if we have a good run, then both
[10:22am] jdeolive: have we isolated the issues that are preventing us to moving jdbc-ng to supported?
[10:23am] mcrmcr: I think, jody had some arguments (aggregate functions)
[10:23am] aaime: aggreation and jgarnett was very pro fixing the code duplication before
[10:23am] jdeolive: the only objections i heard last time around from jody was events and aggregation
[10:23am] aaime: turning that into a supported module
[10:24am] jdeolive: events are there, aggregation is ready to go given that people agree on the compromise i proposed, which i believe matches the functionality of the old datastores
[10:24am] jdeolive: as for code duplication, i have yet to see an acceptable patch for an alternative, i stated some quite serious issues with jody's approach which he has not responded on
[10:25am] aaime: his position seems to be that despites where the patch comes from, that should be fixed before going into supported land
[10:25am] aaime: if I'm interpreting it right, it's a bit of a hard position, yet it's going to be a bigg-ish change
[10:25am] jdeolive: how do others feel... i feel that is an unreasonable blocking issue
[10:26am] aaime: so it would be nice to make that before turning the module in supported land
[10:26am] aaime: (but I see that as a very good move, not as a blocker)
[10:26am] jdeolive: agreed, i see it as an improvements (nice to have)
[10:27am] jdeolive: but if you look at the datstores that are currently "supported" there is duplication everywhere, far more than the jdbc-ng ones imho
[10:27am] mcrmcr: yeah, lets finish jdbc-ng, otherwise jdbc-ng will finish us
[10:27am] aaime: jdeolive, one thing I did not check is how the modules fares against the 5 stars for graduation
[10:27am] jdeolive: haha, well put
[10:27am] groldan: as long as there's the will to make it, and provided the unit tests are there to avoid regressions, I don't think it should be blocker
[10:27am] mcrmcr: nice
[10:29am] jdeolive: groldan: well... even that is in question
[10:29am] jdeolive: on the issue in question, it involves adding another level of indirection
[10:29am] jdeolive: which i think was one of the major flaws of the old datastore
[10:30am] jdeolive: having to drill down 4-5 classes to actually get to the code that creates the SQL
[10:30am] jdeolive: anyways... perhaps we are starting to get off topic
[10:32am] jeremy-wrk joined the chat room.
[10:33am] tenzochris is now known as tenzo|away.
[10:33am] jeremy-wrk is now known as Pe.
[10:35am] jdeolive: so... getting back to the road map
[10:35am] jdeolive: any proposed changed?
[10:35am] jdeolive: changes
[10:36am] cabraham left the chat room.
[10:37am] aaime: none in particular
[10:37am] aaime: one thin
[10:37am] aaime: thing
[10:37am] aaime: next week during the Bolsena sprint I'll try to fix as many beta2 issues as I can
[10:37am] aaime: any suggestions/preferences on which I should concentrate myself?
[10:38am] cabraham joined the chat room.
[10:39am] jdeolive: well... i think are focusing on bugs rather than UI improvements?
[10:39am] jdeolive: so i guess any bugs that represent the biggest or most serious regressions

Posted at 16 Jun @ 12:48 PM by Justin Deoliveira | 0 comments