0) What's up
1) Road map
dwins: aaime, jdeolive: meeting time?
[10:02am] jdeolive: yup
[10:05am] jdeolive: agenda items?
[10:05am] You changed the topic to "0) what's up 1) road map".
[10:06am] dwins: i'd like to propose a community module, but maybe that should go on the mailing list
[10:06am] jdeolive: dwins: as you see fit, it might be nice to do it on the mailing list so everybody sees teh approval
[10:07am] dwins: okay. email seems better so I'll do that
[10:08am] jdeolive: ok... no more agenda items lets start
[10:08am] jdeolive: 0) what's up
[10:08am] jdeolive has been fixing 2.0 bugs
[10:09am] dwins has been off in js land, but spent some time helping agerber wrap up some spring issues yesterday
[10:10am] aaime is working on 3d kml and wicket ui
[10:10am] groldan is doing arcsde improvements: JNDI, multiversion support and non-spatial tables support
[10:10am] groldan is doing arcsde improvements: JNDI, multiversion and non-spatial tables support
[10:10am] agerber is about to commit printing
[10:11am] jdeolive: cool
[10:11am] jdeolive: 1) road map
[10:11am] jdeolive: http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Roadmap
[10:11am] sigq: Title: Roadmap - GeoServer (at geoserver.org)
[10:12am] jdeolive: we are working through the blocker and priority fixes for 2.0-beta2
[10:12am] jdeolive: i have fixed for GEOS-3076, and GEOS-3118 pending so those should be gone soon as well
[10:12am] jdeolive: GEOS-2705 can probably be pushed back
[10:13am] jdeolive: since it is more of a meta issue
[10:13am] mcrmcr: What about migrating some plugins/extensions to 2.0
[10:13am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: it has been on the plate for a while now... but i pushed it back to 2.0-RC1
[10:13am] jdeolive: that said
[10:13am] jdeolive: folks are free to do it now
[10:14am] jdeolive: and if people think it is important we have all the extensions for beta2, we can promote it as well
[10:14am] jdeolive: thoughts?
[10:14am] mcrmcr: hmm, every time I tried to include an extension into 1.7.x I did a minor mistake
[10:15am] mcrmcr: I think, for 2.0, the situation will be the same
[10:15am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: third time will be charm, i promise
[10:16am] FerMendez joined the chat room.
[10:16am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: which of yorus need to come forward to trunk still, featuregeneralized, and imagemosaic-jdbc?
[10:16am] mcrmcr: and db2-ng would make me happy
[10:18am] jdeolive: i thought the db2 extension on trunk was db2-ng... maybe i am wrong
[10:18am] jdeolive: yup.. i am wrong
[10:19am] mcrmcr: I want to get rid of the old db2 module, nobody supports it
[10:19am] jdeolive: but i think we more or less agreed that the old jdbc extensions will go bye bye, and we will ship only the ng ones
[10:19am] aaime: yup
[10:19am] mcrmcr: code sprint ?
[10:20am] ahocevar left the chat room. (Nick collision from services.)
[10:21am] jdeolive: mcrmcr: for porting all the jdbc-ng extensions? or to fix jdbc-ng issues?
[10:21am] jdeolive: or both?
[10:21am] ahocevar joined the chat room.
[10:21am] mcrmcr: first fix the issues to get in supported land and if we have a good run, then both
[10:22am] jdeolive: have we isolated the issues that are preventing us to moving jdbc-ng to supported?
[10:23am] mcrmcr: I think, jody had some arguments (aggregate functions)
[10:23am] aaime: aggreation and jgarnett was very pro fixing the code duplication before
[10:23am] jdeolive: the only objections i heard last time around from jody was events and aggregation
[10:23am] aaime: turning that into a supported module
[10:24am] jdeolive: events are there, aggregation is ready to go given that people agree on the compromise i proposed, which i believe matches the functionality of the old datastores
[10:24am] jdeolive: as for code duplication, i have yet to see an acceptable patch for an alternative, i stated some quite serious issues with jody's approach which he has not responded on
[10:25am] aaime: his position seems to be that despites where the patch comes from, that should be fixed before going into supported land
[10:25am] aaime: if I'm interpreting it right, it's a bit of a hard position, yet it's going to be a bigg-ish change
[10:25am] jdeolive: how do others feel... i feel that is an unreasonable blocking issue
[10:26am] aaime: so it would be nice to make that before turning the module in supported land
[10:26am] aaime: (but I see that as a very good move, not as a blocker)
[10:26am] jdeolive: agreed, i see it as an improvements (nice to have)
[10:27am] jdeolive: but if you look at the datstores that are currently "supported" there is duplication everywhere, far more than the jdbc-ng ones imho
[10:27am] mcrmcr: yeah, lets finish jdbc-ng, otherwise jdbc-ng will finish us
[10:27am] aaime: jdeolive, one thing I did not check is how the modules fares against the 5 stars for graduation
[10:27am] jdeolive: haha, well put
[10:27am] groldan: as long as there's the will to make it, and provided the unit tests are there to avoid regressions, I don't think it should be blocker
[10:27am] mcrmcr: nice
[10:29am] jdeolive: groldan: well... even that is in question
[10:29am] jdeolive: on the issue in question, it involves adding another level of indirection
[10:29am] jdeolive: which i think was one of the major flaws of the old datastore
[10:30am] jdeolive: having to drill down 4-5 classes to actually get to the code that creates the SQL
[10:30am] jdeolive: anyways... perhaps we are starting to get off topic
[10:32am] jeremy-wrk joined the chat room.
[10:33am] tenzochris is now known as tenzo|away.
[10:33am] jeremy-wrk is now known as Pe.
[10:35am] jdeolive: so... getting back to the road map
[10:35am] jdeolive: any proposed changed?
[10:35am] jdeolive: changes
[10:36am] cabraham left the chat room.
[10:37am] aaime: none in particular
[10:37am] aaime: one thin
[10:37am] aaime: thing
[10:37am] aaime: next week during the Bolsena sprint I'll try to fix as many beta2 issues as I can
[10:37am] aaime: any suggestions/preferences on which I should concentrate myself?
[10:38am] cabraham joined the chat room.
[10:39am] jdeolive: well... i think are focusing on bugs rather than UI improvements?
[10:39am] jdeolive: so i guess any bugs that represent the biggest or most serious regressions
1) what's up
2) release update
3) road map
4) it's a 3d world
0) What's up
2) MVN site generation
3) Chart extension
jdeolive: 0) what's up
[10:15am] lasma is away: Gone away for now
[10:15am] aaime went to the zoo with family and he's not relaxing by fixing a few bugs
[10:15am] jdeolive fixing some restconfig bugs
[10:16am] jdeolive thinks it is quiet... a bit too quiet
[10:17am] aaime agrees
[10:18am] groldan joined the chat room.
[10:18am] aaime: groldan, meeting just started
[10:19am] aaime: "what's up" is the current topic
[10:19am] groldan: Hi sorry I'm late. Stayed woke up late lastnight helping sophia with some arcsde stuff
[10:19am] funky_c needs to research more things to test; figure out what's changed.
[10:20am] groldan is looking for what wicket UI issues to tackle today, have been helping with some arcsde export stuff and fixing UI bugs
[10:20am] groldan is also gonna be back to contract work this week
[10:21am] simboss: simboss: playing with modules inherited on gt-trunk
[10:21am] jdeolive: cool
[10:21am] jdeolive: 1) road map
[10:21am] jdeolive: http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Roadmap
[10:21am] sigq: Title: Roadmap - GeoServer (at geoserver.org)
[10:21am] jdeolive: so as aaime mentioned on the mailing list there are lots of issues for 1.7.5
[10:21am] aaime: yeah
[10:21am] jdeolive: so we shoud probably try to prioritize the important ones
[10:21am] jdeolive: and push back the rest
[10:21am] aaime: indeed
[10:22am] jdeolive: so... anyone want to bring up issues they think are important and/or they want to fix for 1.7.5
[10:22am] aaime: (important, or very quick to fix )
[10:22am] jdeolive: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=15284&type=1&type=4&type=3&type=5&type=7&pid=10311&status=1&status=3&sorter/field=type&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC
[10:22am] sigq: Title: Issue Navigator - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:22am] jdeolive: aaime: good point, low hanging fruit is good too
[10:23am] aaime: GESO-2316 and GEOS-2011 do not look very critical to me
[10:23am] jdeolive: oops, wrong list
[10:23am] jdeolive: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&fixfor=%2014788&type=1&type=4&type=3&type=5&type=7&pid=10311&status=1&status=3&sorter/field=type&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC
[10:23am] sigq: Title: Issue Navigator - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:24am] groldan: that seems to be 2.0beta2
[10:24am] jdeolive: aaime: agreed, should be push back to 2.x?
[10:24am] aaime: yeah
[10:24am] aaime: jdeolive, shouldn't the list be: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10311&fixfor=14788
[10:24am] sigq: Title: Issue Navigator - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:25am] jdeolive: doh... sorry, tried to paste that one
[10:26am] aaime: Other issues I'd like to fix: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2614, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2842, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2743,
[10:26am] aaime: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2782
[10:26am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2782 MaxFeatures equal to Integer.MAX_VALUE not disgarded when requesting multiple layers - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:26am] aaime: This one looks annoying pesky as well: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2770
[10:26am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2770 FeatureType folder does not get deleted if it contains schema.xml and/or schema.xsd - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:27am] aaime: (annoying was meant to replace pesky... whatever)
[10:27am] aaime: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2269 is related to some recent Tike fixes, isn't it?
[10:27am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2269 exception should be thrown when user tries to submit a gml:Surface or gml:Curve in a WFS transaction - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:27am] jdeolive: cool, aaime want to up the priority on those to critical in order to prioritize?
[10:28am] aaime: yeah, thought some of the above fall more in the "ashamed to be there and does not look hard to fix" category
[10:28am] aaime: more than in "the world will stop if we don't fix those" one
[10:28am] aaime: but yeah, we just have priority to categorize
[10:29am] jdeolive: yeah
[10:30am] jdeolive: so perhaps people should go through and up the priority of things they want to fix?
[10:30am] jdeolive: and we can go from there?
[10:30am] groldan: this one seems to fall into andrea's category too: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2703
[10:30am] sigq: Title: GEOS-2703 Completely wipe out the "schema base" drop down from the feature type editor - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[10:30am] aaime: jdeolive, works for me
[10:30am] jdeolive: maybe reply to teh road map update mail with the ones that have been upped?
[10:30am] aaime: groldan, yeah, there are two html things that are still lingering
[10:30am] aaime: that should not be visiable
[10:30am] CIA-21: aaime * r12536 /trunk/src/ (3 files in 3 dirs): GEOS-2790, Cannot download WCS outputs coverages generated with store=true
[10:31am] aaime: (and they are out of proper layout too, which makes them more visible)
[10:31am] groldan: what's the other one?
[10:31am] aaime: two html elements I mean
[10:31am] Bojan left the chat room.
[10:34am] aaime: jdeolive, shall we move on
[10:34am] aaime: or we re-prioritize issues now?
[10:34am] jdeolive: sure, so if everyone could scan through jira at some point and prioritize that would be great
[10:34am] jdeolive: moving on
[10:34am] jdeolive: 2) mvn site
[10:34am] jdeolive: aaime?
[10:34am] aaime: yeah, I was wondering if
[10:35am] aaime: people had a look at the site I geneated for GeoTools, and if the same could be useful for geoserver as well
[10:35am] aaime: (and if so, if we should schedule site generation in hudson)
[10:35am] jdeolive: aaime: do you have teh link handy? scanning through the gt devel list...
[10:36am] aaime: http://sigma.openplans.org/~aaime/gtsite/index.html
[10:36am] sigq: Title: Geotools 2 - About (at sigma.openplans.org)
[10:36am] sonicx_ left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection)
[10:36am] jdeolive: thanks
[10:36am] aaime: and here is a sample set of reports: http://sigma.openplans.org/~aaime/gtsite/modules/library/gt-cql/project-reports.html
[10:36am] sigq: Title: Geotools 2 - Generated Reports (at sigma.openplans.org)
[10:37am] jdeolive: yeah, i think this would be great for geoserver
[10:37am] aaime: which is the (only imho) interesting part of the site
[10:37am] aaime: if we do that, we should setup a place where the generated site is going to be published
[10:37am] aaime: and then I can give a crack to site generation
[10:38am] jdeolive: sounds good... maybe we can talk to arne about setting up a reports.geoserver.org or something
[10:39am] aaime: or we can just copy everytihng into the nightly section
[10:39am] aaime: the site is going to be useful to devs mostly anyways no?
[10:39am] aaime: (this would make for a simple local file copy, wouldn't it?)
[10:40am] groldan left the chat room. (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
[10:40am] jdeolive: sure, that works fine too
[10:40am] aaime: I see there are quite a bit of documentation tasks open for 1.7.5 too
[10:41am] Topic changed to "0) what's up 1) road map 2) mvn site 3) chart module" by aaime.
[10:41am] jdeolive: yeah... i was actually thinking i would put a couple of days toward doc tasks
[10:41am] aaime: a couple of days.. this week
[10:41am] aaime: (release is scheduled for Monday)
[10:42am] jdeolive: yeah, this week
[10:42am] jdeolive: but i guess if some docs slide in late that won't be a show stopper, can always update hte doc artifact
[10:43am] groldan joined the chat room.
[10:43am] aaime: well, site wise, I guess I'll ask on the list too
[10:44am] aaime: to see how other devs feel (for the mometn we have two +1)
[10:44am] jdeolive: cool
[10:45am] aaime: let's move to the next topic?
[10:45am] jdeolive: sounds good
[10:45am] jdeolive: 3) chart module
[10:45am] aaime: wondering how to include it in the release
[10:46am] aaime: official package, or we just link it from the blog
[10:46am] aaime: or... what?
[10:46am] jdeolive: is there an extension for it?
[10:46am] aaime: what is the way to include in the release a package that is not an extension
[10:47am] aaime: jdeolive, you suggested to make it distributed as unsupported or something
[10:47am] aaime: that's why I'm asking
[10:47am] jdeolive: right, sorry just trying to jog my memory
[10:47am] jdeolive: so how does it live right now? community module?
[10:47am] aaime: it's a build profile
[10:47am] aaime: there is no need for a module
[10:47am] aaime: since it provides a SPI extension
[10:48am] aaime: so it's more or less like a datastore dependency
[10:48am] jdeolive: so only a geotools lib?
[10:48am] aaime: yeah
[10:48am] jdeolive: yeah, i would say still an extension like we do for other ones
[10:48am] jdeolive: but for this time around
[10:48am] jdeolive: we can just do it up manually if we don't want to do up the full extension, we have done it in teh past
[10:49am] jdeolive: but i would say eventually an extension which contains the proper profile woudl be the way to go
[10:49am] aaime: I'm ok to make the proper extension module
[10:49am] aaime: which in fact would just contain deps
[10:49am] jdeolive: cool, i would say lets go that route
[10:49am] aaime: ok
[10:50am] aaime: I guess this is it?
[10:50am] aaime: anything else?
[10:50am] jdeolive: cool
[10:51am] jdeolive: someone on the logs?
[10:51am] groldan: about a deps only extension
[10:51am] groldan: what hapens if we set the pom's packaging to pom instead of jar?
[10:52am] groldan: does that still work and we avoid having an empty jar for the extension itself?
[10:52am] jdeolive: i don't think that works, but would have to verify
[10:52am] jdeolive: what i suggest doing instead is just not picking up the empty jar in the release artifact desciriptor
0) What's up
1) Road map update
2) Dual meeting
0) What's up
1) Roadmap update
2) Docs going live
3) 1.7.4 Release (Without OS X artifact?)
0) What's up
1) In a brave new Oracle world
0) what's up?
0) what's up
1) roadmap update
2) wfs generalization
3) sphinx docs update/plan
4) wms decorations
0) whats up
2) meeting logging
3) road map update
4) GSIP 34
0) What's up
1) Roadmap update
0) whats up
1) road map update
2) 1.7.3 release
0) What's up?
1) Road Map
2) OpenGeo Meeting
3) Google Summer of Code Project Ideas [12:03:36] <jdeolive> aaime, arneke, bmmpxf, dwins, groldan_ iwillig: meeting time?
[ <aaime> indeed
[12:03:42] Quit ahocevar1 has left this server (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)).
[12:03:46] <iwillig> yeah
[12:03:51] Join ahocevar has joined this channel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
[12:03:53] <dwins> hi all
[12:03:57] * jdeolive is sorry if he missed anyone
[12:03:57] <groldan_> hi all
[12:04:36] <arneke> pong
[12:04:41] Topic jdeolive sets the channel topic to "0) whats up 1) road map".
[12:04:45] <jdeolive> anyone have any agenda items?
[12:05:13] <aaime> roadmap update? Oh no, you beated me on that one
[12:06:05] <aaime> OpenGeo tribe meeting?
[12:06:16] Topic jdeolive sets the channel topic to "0) whats up 1) road map 2) opengeo meeting".
[12:06:18] <groldan_> call for remote participation on opengeo sprint?
[12:06:22] <groldan_> yeah that one aaime
[12:06:42] <aaime> if cholmes_ is around it would be nice to know more about contributor agreement status?
[12:06:55] Nick groldan_ is now known as groldan.
[12:07:30] <jdeolive> cool, lets add that if cholmes_ shows up
[12:07:35] <jdeolive> shall we start?
[12:07:42] <aaime> sure
[12:07:55] * jdeolive has been working on rest config stuff
[12:08:05] * arneke is working on jdbc backend
[12:08:12] * bmmpxf is in India at Map World Forum being a walking OpenGeo commercial + suffering from massive culture shock
[12:08:33] * dwins has been playing with GeoExt, putting together talk for NC GIS
[12:08:55] * aaime is playing with ogr, csv and excel output formats and doing random rendering improvements
[12:08:57] * groldan has been working on supporting new arcsde raster formats, its quite stable on trunk, need to backport to 1.7.x
[12:09:22] <groldan> and /me is making sure test suite is up to an acceptable level in order to backport to the stable branch
[12:09:30] * iwillig is working on OSM demo and docs when he is done with OSM
[12:10:14] <jdeolive> cool
[12:10:18] <jdeolive> 1) road map
[12:10:31] <jdeolive> aaime: sorry, i have not reorganized it yet as you wanted
[12:10:42] <jdeolive> let's sound off by person
[12:10:54] <jdeolive> leaving aaime for last since he has the most issues
[12:10:56] <jdeolive> arneke
[12:11:04] <jdeolive> any changes?
[12:11:19] <jdeolive> sorry, here is the link
[12:11:20] <arneke> Not yet, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2605
[12:11:21] <jdeolive> http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Roadmap
[12:11:21] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2605] GetCapabilities response for gwc - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:11:25] <sigq> Title: Roadmap - GeoServer (at geoserver.org)
[12:11:42] <arneke> there was a check-in today, but I havent looked it over yet
[12:11:55] <arneke> by Per
[12:12:09] <arneke> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2513 , not done any work on it
[12:12:11] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2513] Add gwc links to the main welcome page - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:12:32] <jdeolive> arneke: ok, shall we leave them as is or push back?
[12:12:56] <arneke> leave as is, may push the first one back
[12:13:01] <jdeolive> cool
[12:13:05] <jdeolive> thanks arneke
[12:13:14] <jdeolive> groldan
[12:13:49] <jdeolive> looks like that is quite well on track yes?
[12:13:52] <groldan> this week I'm wrapping up the arcsde gce stuff, so I should be good as for the release time
[12:13:55] Join ingenieroariel_ has joined this channel (email@example.com).
[12:14:05] <jdeolive> nice
[12:14:16] <jdeolive> i will go next
[12:14:22] <jdeolive> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2497
[12:14:23] <jdeolive> moving along
[12:14:24] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2497] move restconfig to core module - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:14:33] <jdeolive> i committed my big massive commit
[12:14:40] <jdeolive> i think dwins is hoping to look over it soon
[12:14:53] <jdeolive> i am also almost ready to move rest to core... as most votes are in
[12:15:22] <jdeolive> that is it for me
[12:15:31] <jdeolive> dwins
[12:15:32] <dwins> i see a lot of test failures in restconfig right now. have you committed this morning?
[12:15:43] <jdeolive> dwins: nope...
[12:15:50] <jdeolive> perhaps i forgot to commit something
[12:15:55] <dwins> hm. guess there's some debugging to do then
[12:16:00] <jdeolive> i will build on the server to see if i can replicate
[12:16:02] <dwins> anyway, we can pick it up after the meeting
[12:16:48] <jdeolive> dwins: nothing changed with http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2496 i suppose
[12:16:50] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2496] Move geosearch module to core distribution - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:17:05] <dwins> right, no news there
[12:17:23] <jdeolive> cool
[12:17:29] <dwins> I guess I need to revive that email thread; I only remember receiving one vote
[12:17:30] <jdeolive> so... last but not least, aaime!!
[12:17:35] <aaime> ok
[12:17:42] <aaime> well, citing just the issues that have some changes
[12:17:55] <aaime> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2615 seems well on its road to completion
[12:17:57] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2615] Bring CSV/Excel output formats to extension status - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:18:21] <aaime> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2601 is done and hopefully will allow for nice road maps with embedded one way symbols. Users are testing it now
[12:18:23] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2601] Ability to turn on/off TextSymbolizer "left-to-right" aligning feature - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:18:38] Quit ingenieroariel has left this server (Operation timed out).
[12:18:39] <aaime> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2471 has been expanded to wfs and wcs too
[12:18:40] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2471] Support namespace filter for WMS/WFS/WCS getCapabilities - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:19:03] <aaime> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2288 I did not get any negative feedback about, maybe time to push directory data store to supported land in gt2
[12:19:05] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2288] Add directory data store to the list of standard GeoServer data stores - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:19:20] <aaime> Finally, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2584
[12:19:21] <sigq> Title: [#GEOS-2584] Allow choice of color reduction algorithm for png8 images - jira.codehaus.org (at jira.codehaus.org)
[12:19:38] <aaime> in which I realized the change was not as easy as I thought, I need to expand the algorithm to 4 dimensions (RGB and A)
[12:19:48] <aaime> so that will take some chewing
[12:20:08] <aaime> hopefully I will manage to get it done by 1.7.3, if not, we'll move it to 1.7.4
[12:20:08] <jdeolive> ok... leave as is or push back?
[12:20:32] <aaime> if I'm not done one week before the release let's push back, otherwise keep it?
[12:20:54] <jdeolive> sounds good
[12:21:03] Quit ingenieroariel_ has left this server (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)).
[12:21:11] <aaime> On that topic, I think it would be nice if most new features were ready a bit before the releases
[12:21:17] Join ingenieroariel_ has joined this channel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
[12:21:25] <aaime> so that we can ask users involved in the jira request to test out a little
[12:21:59] <jdeolive> yeah... that would be nice... but sometimes hard to acheive
[12:22:55] <CIA-16> 03aaime * r11301 10/branches/1.7.x/src/community/ (5 files in 3 dirs): Adding feature id column in the csv/excel outputs
[12:23:02] <aaime> I'm done
[12:23:24] <jdeolive> cool, thanks aaime
[12:23:49] <jdeolive> 2) opengeo meeting
[12:23:53] <jdeolive> aaime
[12:24:14] <aaime> well, OpenGeo has a gathering in NY later this month
[12:24:30] <aaime> the week of the 21, thought I guess many people will be around the week after it as well
[12:24:42] <aaime> the main point of the gathering is to talk of course but
[12:24:53] <aaime> we'll have a geoserver sprint as well
[12:25:06] <aaime> we don't have a solid agenda so far, but the topics candidate for the sprint are
[12:25:10] Part SEWilco2 has left this channel.
[12:25:18] <aaime> catalog cleanup (get rid of all the old catalog and config classes)
[12:25:36] <aaime> general code cleanup (get rid of all the lingering classes that stayed there, javadocs improvements)
[12:25:51] <aaime> and bringing the wicket ui to a day to day usable state
[12:26:35] <aaime> As usual with a sprint an avalanche of commits is to be expected
[12:26:51] <aaime> not sure if anybody from remote (outside of opengeo) is interested in participating
[12:27:18] <aaime> but I guess we should tell the above to Ben and Rob since they are working on trunk and during those days trunk will be hit pretty hard
[12:27:18] <dwins> presumably we should make an announcement on the mailing list. I think most of the people here for the meeting are OG employees
[12:27:34] <aaime> yep
[12:27:46] <aaime> anyways, any update of the meeting agenda?
[12:28:41] <dwins> I don't have any information about it that you don't
[12:29:08] <aaime> well, maybe someone wants to propose something else, I don't know
[12:29:31] <dwins> tbh, I think those three make for a pretty full plate
[12:29:45] <aaime> oh for me too
[12:30:18] <dwins> the jteam was hoping to do some quick iterations on the Ext preview application we mentioned on the opengeo mailing list as well
[12:30:48] <aaime> yeah, one thing that I would like to see in this meeting, compared to the Bolsena one, is more talking less coding
[12:31:01] Quit cbriancon has left this server ("Leaving.").
[12:31:02] <dwins> ++
[12:31:03] <aaime> that is, unless we have very detailed planning for coding in anger
[12:31:22] <bmmpxf> aaime: why do you say "more talking less coding"?
[12:31:33] <aaime> Imho coding we do fine even when at home, it's talking that we don't do very well over chat
[12:31:53] <aaime> bmmpxf, because the Bolsena sprint last year disappointed me somewhat
[12:32:02] <aaime> as we rushed into coding something that was not very well defined
[12:32:15] <aaime> because the objective was to get the UI "done" during the meeting
[12:32:34] <aaime> but in the end I have the feeling we've done something, but that something is not as useful as it could be
[12:32:48] <aaime> a case of coding against of the wrong requirements, or something like that
[12:32:50] <bmmpxf> was that a failure of planning or a failure of what is realistic to accomplish?
[12:33:17] <aaime> Also it would be nice to take it a little more relaxed, we were coding each day up to 11PM
[12:33:31] <aaime> under a not better specified sense of urgency
[12:34:01] <aaime> bmmpxf, probably lack of preparation
[12:34:23] <aaime> the code spring in Victoria for switching from the old to the new feature model at foss4g 2007 was sure hard work
[12:34:32] <aaime> but it was prepared in detail and we managed to accomplish a lot
[12:34:34] <bmmpxf> aaime: I ask mainly because I've never encountered an official sprint before, that's all.
[12:34:41] Part Bojan has left this channel.
[12:34:54] <aaime> ah, not an expert here either, only done two so far
[12:35:11] <aaime> (the FOSS4G 2008 one did not really work out, everybody was way too tired)
[12:36:09] <aaime> both were setup in a "code a lot" way
[12:36:13] <aaime> but only one really worked out imho
[12:36:40] <aaime> but maybe it's just me
[12:36:46] <aaime> dwins, jdeolive, you were there too
[12:36:47] <dwins> on the other hand, the Victoria sprint involved a lot of superficial changes, at least the part of it that I was around for
[12:37:03] <aaime> dwins, yeah, it was pretty mechanical
[12:37:23] <aaime> whilst in Bolsena we were facing a new technology, we did not have much web IU experience at all
[12:37:25] <dwins> that seems to not be really taking advantage of having everyone in the same room
[12:37:56] <aaime> dwins, in that case it was more of an issue of using those days because once home we would not have done it otherwise
[12:38:04] <aaime> as it was the kind of change that nobody really sponsors for
[12:38:36] <dwins> no argument there.
[12:38:39] Join gdavis_ has joined this channel (email@example.com).
[12:39:17] <bmmpxf> aaime: Yeah, perhaps the nice thing about a sprint is that it forces people to do things they wouldn't do otherwise...
[12:39:28] <aaime> maybe
[12:39:41] <bmmpxf> you know, progress through co-worker guilt.
[12:40:02] <aaime> well, shall we move forward?
[12:40:06] <aaime> or else... close the meeting?
[12:40:13] <aaime> any other topic?
[12:41:02] <arneke> what's left ? copuright input ?
[12:41:06] <dwins> maybe a call for Summer of Code project ideas
[12:41:38] <aaime> dwins, good idea
[12:41:50] <aaime> it's always hard to get the right balance for those things
[12:41:57] <dwins> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009_Ideas
[12:41:59] <sigq> Title: Google Summer of Code 2009 Ideas - OSGeo Wiki (at wiki.osgeo.org)
[12:42:03] <aaime> like not so hard that the students run away of get stuck midway
[12:42:12] <aaime> but no so easy to make everybody bored either
[12:43:17] <aaime> Hum, maybe we coudl have a stud make a full restful wfs
[12:43:25] <aaime> that should strike a nice balance?
[12:43:43] <aaime> (stud-ent)
[12:43:51] <arneke> do we think anyone would use it ?
[12:43:59] <arneke> make life easier for the JS guys ?
[12:44:23] <aaime> maybe, everybody hates WFS-T
[12:45:02] <aaime> also 3d thematic mapping in kml ala thematicmapping.org could be interesting
[12:45:23] <aaime> we already have most of what is needed there, shoudl not be that hard? (or maybe it's too easy?)
[12:45:38] <dwins> a Cascadenik clone for GeoServer would be cool too
[12:46:00] <aaime> right, parse css and turn that into a Style object in memory?
[12:46:34] <aaime> I'm only worried about the double maintenance that we'd have to deal with if that gets any traction
[12:47:36] <dwins> like the maintenance for all the datastores and output formats we have?
[12:47:37] <aaime> it may also be nice to have templates for pdf output
[12:47:56] <aaime> like the mapfish one, but more visual
[12:48:11] <aaime> like defining the template in SVG using Inkscape
[12:48:15] <arneke> I think that would be handy for a lot of organizations
[12:48:25] <aaime> and taggig certain areas as map/legend/scale
[12:48:32] Join simboss has joined this channel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
[12:48:47] <aaime> with mapfish you have options, but I've found getting a good output somewhat painful
[12:48:58] <arneke> plotting templates are always painful
[12:48:59] <aaime> a lot of try and fix and try and fix and curse
[12:49:22] <aaime> yeah, the downside of the mapfish one beign that it's defined in a text file for everything
[12:49:33] <arneke> 1200 dpi A0 plots -> fun
[12:49:50] <aaime> it's also slwo because the servlet asks the map server for a SVG output (to have resolution indep vectors in the pdf)
[12:49:56] <aaime> and then has to parse it back
[12:50:19] <simboss> (hi all, sorry I am late)
[12:50:22] <arneke> i like the SVG idea
[12:50:39] <arneke> it offloads a lot of the problems i've dealt with in the past
[12:51:00] <aaime> yeah, it's a good one, just not optimal from a perf pov
[12:51:02] <arneke> like logos being resized and stuff
[12:51:18] <aaime> not sure you noticed, but the native pdf output of geoserver is fully vector too
[12:51:36] <aaime> (well, almost, there is a bug I need to fix there in case multiple feature type styles are in use)
[12:52:08] <arneke> no, havent tried it, cool
[12:52:28] Quit bmmpxf has left this server (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer)).
[12:53:57] <aaime> any other suggestion for the Soc?
[12:55:41] <dwins> i'm done for now
0) what's up?
1) road map update
0) whats up
1) road map update